In 1884 Frederick W. Dunton, the nephew of the first president of the Long Island Railroad, was travelling East
and he admired from his railroad car window the green and rolling hills of what is now
Hollis and Holliswood. He purchased 136 acres of farmland and divided it into lots for
He laid out the curving streets of
Holliswood and gave them Latin or Spanish names, such as Rio, Como, Marengo, etc.. Epsom
Course, oval shaped, was built by Mr. Dunton as a trotting race course. Many famous
trotters were seen on its turf.
For himself he reserved a big lot at the
southern edge of Holliswood on Dunton Avenue and built a big and beautiful mansion called
Hollis Hall with views all the way to the ocean.After Mr. Duntons death, Hollis
Hall was sold and became a restaurant named Browns Chop House. It was reported to
have been a speakeasy during prohibition.
When prohibition ended, Browns Chop
House was torn down. The hill on which it stood was leveled, and our garden apartment
complex was erected on the site in 1949.
(From the Holliswood folder at the Long Island Division of the Queensborough Library)
Holliswood Gardens -
196-04 Pompeii Ave.
Copyright © 2000 Holliswood Owners Corp.